Monday, July 30, 2012

What Can We Offer

For You do not desire sacrifice, or else I would give it; You do not delight in burnt offering. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit, and broken and a contrite heart- These, O God, You will not despise. Psalm 51:16-17.

This verse struck me this morning. Sometimes I pray that God would gift me with some drive or desire to work in a specific field or serve God in a specific ministry for which I have an unquenchable passion. But verses like this one make me thankful that God's ways are not my ways and His thoughts are not my thoughts.
I have a tendency to think highly of myself, as most of us do. If I had some great gift that was recognized by others as great, how easily I might sink into the lie that I was something special or I offer God a greater sacrifice than another. I am grateful for my Lord and how He directs my steps and helps me to stop and ponder His truths.

Do good in Your good pleasure to Zion; Build the walls of Jerusalem. Then You shall be pleased with the sacrifices of righteousness, With burnt offering and whole burnt offering; Then they shall offer bulls on Your altar. Psalm 51: 18-19.


Before we can offer God anything there must be a refining process. We have to be broken down before we can be rebuilt and used for His purposes. God is the great creator. He breathed life into us and then said choose for yourself this day whom you will serve. (Joshua 24:15) All we like sheep have gone astray (Isaiah 53:6). But in His great love and mercy He has made a way for us to be reconciled to Himself through Christ Jesus, (2 Corinthians 5:17-19). If we turn from our sins and our self seeking ways by allowing God to show us exactly who we are, wicked at best and dust of the earth, we will find our hearts broken and ashamed before Him. Then through our weakness and humility we find that God is pleased with us. How can this be? How is it possible that after we discover our true sinful nature we can become righteous and pleasing in His sight? Through faith in Jesus Christ! (Romans 3:20-23) Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out! (Romans 11:33-36)

Lord, how arrogant are we all to think that we can offer You anything! You created us all and in Your great love and Mercy provided a way for us to choose You. God I am so unworthy but still You love me. Lord lay me in the house You're building. Help me to surrender all of myself to You. God only by Your mighty hand do we exist and have our being. Why do I entertain these evil thoughts? God forgive me and strip away anything in me that is self seeking. I need Your truths to make it through the day! Without You my life doesn't make sense! Lord keep me close and make a way for me to be useful for Your purpose, even if I'm just a small piece of stone in Your magnificent wall. All Glory Honor and Power are Yours Forever and Ever Amen.





1 comment: