Sunday, July 22, 2012

Slow and Steady Wins the Race

My daughter learned a song this year in school and I heard her singing it and thought how true.


"Little by Little inch by inch
By the yard it's hard, by the inch it's a cinch
Never stare up the stairs, just step up the steps 
little by little inch by inch."


We are so good at being whomever we think other people want or need us to be. I don't know, maybe that's just me. We have all taken on some heavy duty loads. Loads bigger than we were supposed to bare or we take on mountains much bigger than the ones God had intended for us to climb. Maybe because we think we are more than what we really are. It's our pride that gets us into trouble. We long to be known for great things. We would do well to 'learn' from Jesus the truth in Matthew 11:28-30.



If only we would be satisfied with a little progress. If we would just sit down at the end of the day and feel like our little tiny inch was enough. We love to over do things, I know I do. I always feel better when my calendar is filled. It makes me feel like I'm important and accomplished. But oh how we burn out fast in a blaze of utter failure.

I hate failing! It's never fun. Why does't God just come right out and tell us in the beginning instead of letting us learn by trail and error? Well He gave us His truth in the bible. How much are we seeking Him (Matt 7:7-11)? God is a Loving Father and He doesn't want to force us to do, or not to do, anything. Besides if He said, "No no my child that's too much for you," would we listen or would we try it anyways? Be honest now!



The things of the Lord, the lasting and eternal things of God, are never given in hast or with a time crunch involved. God never reveals to us His full glory because we would surly die. He hid Moses in the cleft of the rock and only let him see the train of His robe as He passed by. Think about your own life and the hard things you've endured thus far. Do you think if God had taken you aside in the beginning and revealed to you all that you would endure in this life that you would say, "Sweet, bring it on!" I seriously doubt it! No, God's truth is revealed slowly for our own good.

Lord forgive me for my arrogance and thank You for allowing me to fail. Thank You that there is a lesson in every failed attempt. Thank You that You carry our burdens and comfort us when we fall. You are so loving to endure our stubborn and stiff-necked ways. And thank You for saying NO to that prayer I prayed today! You know exactly what I need! Lord be my strength and help me to not take on more than I can handle, in Jesus name amen!



"We all wanna be somebody, we just need a taste of who we are.
We all wanna be somebody, we're willing to go but not that far."








2 comments:

  1. Whenever I think of taking on heavy loads I think of the women's retreat a few years ago. How we never see a sheep wearing a saddle. In other words, we are sheep and we were not built to be pack animals. To overburden ourselves. I love when I make the time to read your posts as it seems that whenever I read them it is something the Lord has been recently working in my heart. This post definitely ministered to me! Knowing I'm not the only one learning these things and I'm not crazy is very comforting! :D Your post(s) gives me more insight to my relationship with Jesus as it shines a light on perspectives I never thougth to look at! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that retreat! I love all our retreats! God is so faithful to reveal Himself to us if we would only slow down and take the time to seek Him in every situation, big or small. He amazes me everyday!

      Delete