Thursday, January 7, 2010

One long night

Wednesday night was an amazing night. Our church had an evening of worship and it was such a blessing to be there. The songs were powerful and moving, they lifted our spirits and filled our souls. What a joy it was to hear a multitude of voices singing praises to the One who created it all. I wished the night would never end as did many others that were there. Alas we had to face the reality of our responsibilities that would surly come in the morning, so reluctantly we all headed home. Little did I know the night was far from over.

It's funny how things just happen sometimes and there seems to be no rhyme or reason for it. Kenny had another seizure that night and it was one that left him feeling very afraid.

I think it had only been 10 or 15 minutes since Kenny had gone to bed when he came out of the bedroom. He was walking a little funny and was pale as a ghost. I asked if he was OK but received no answer. I asked again and again until I realized something was happening. He was twitching sporadically on mostly the right side of his body and he had this very confused expression on his face.
I walk over to him and got him to sit down, and with a strange kind of calmness I tried to get him to respond. He struggled for what seemed like forever to get some words to come out, and finally when I asked if he wanted me to call a doctor he responded with a firm but shaky, "yes". I knew I needed to get him to the hospital so I called Naomi and said,
"I think I need you, I think Kenny had another seizure".
I could tell she was already in bed but without hesitation she said,
"OK I'm on my way".

After I hang up the phone Kenny was finally able to tell me what happened. He said he had just laid down and was beginning to say prayers in his head when he started repeating himself over and over again. Then his eyes started fluttering rapidly, and he said it was like his thought proses had completely shut down and he couldn't even think. He said it was so scary.

I cant imagine what that must have felt like. Think about it, your brain, the organ in your body that controls all the other organs, and allows you to think and write and talk and feel has just had a major malfunction. You are still aware but not in control at all. The thought of that scares me too.

In an earlier blog I wrote about a friend of ours that suffered from a horrible seizure just this past December. Kenny was standing maybe ten feet off when his friend hit the ground and began to shake. Though he had experienced a serious seizure, Kenny had little recollection of the event that rocked our family almost a year ago on January 26th 2009. Seeing some of the more severe effects of a seizure just recently, has caused us to feel all kinds of different emotions.

I shared with you about my fear of the unknown, I have to say my fear of loosing my husband and raising my children on my own seems small when paired with Kenny's fear of not being able to use his brain to think or communicate.

Do I believe that God is big enough to help us over come even this? Yes I do.

In one of Pastor Ron's sermons he talked about a study that was being done on the brain and whether or not the brain in some way caused the mind. These doctors and scientists went through years of research and spent tons of money trying to figure out what we as believers already know. Our brains may control our body but our spirit is separate, and only temporarily encased in this human shell.

http://bible.org/seriespage/man-trinity-spirit-soul-body
Check out this site if your interested in more on our spirit-body-soul. I don't pretend to know all there is to know about the spiritual nature of man but this site might be able to give you more than I can.

What Kenny and I both realized through this ordeal was that though he had no way of communicating or thinking during this very scary event, he was still very much aware. That just proves that we may physically experience pain or disabilities in our bodies but our spirit is a completely separate part of us. Our bodies may become weak and die but our spirit will live on.

Death does not discriminate and all of us will face it sooner or later.
1 Corinthians 15: 22, For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive.
John 3: 16-17, for God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

What more do we need to know? The Word of God is proven and we need to ask ourselves do we believe, or not?

1 comment:

  1. Another incredible post. Please know you, Kenny and your family are in our prayers.
    And yes, I believe! :D

    ReplyDelete