Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Fear


OK this might sound crazy, but I'm afraid of things you cant see.

Maybe it's not that crazy because if you think about it there are so many things you cant see; like the wind, you cant see it but on a stormy night it can make you very afraid. The future is something else you cant see and it too can be very scary.

Fear is a hard thing to over come, especially fear of the unknown. I struggle a lot with fear of the unknown. The future to me is a scary place so I try not to think about it too often. Many of you know my husband, almost a year ago, was diagnosed with a brain tumor. Since that time the Lord has done wondrous works. God has provided so much in this past year financially, emotionally and miraculously.

I have learned so much in this past year and grown so much closer to God through this very difficult time. Although my mind still wonders off to" what if land", I can usually snap out of it quickly through prayer.

On January 12th Kenny and I will go to the hospital for another MRI to see if there is any regrowth of the cancer. It seems every time an MRI date approaches I find myself feeling very scared. I don't even realize it when it first comes on because it sneaks up on me when I'm just going through my day. Sometimes I don't even want to acknowledge that it's there because I want to be so strong and not be swayed by this fear.

The problem is if I don't acknowledge my fear it doesn't go away but finds another way to show it's ugly face. Unfortunately fear is real and very powerful. It can bring the strongest person to their knees in an instant. Try as we may to avoid it, or pretend fear has no affect on us, the truth is we must deal with it.

Facing our fear is the only way to over come it. How do we face our fear when we're afraid of it? When my children are afraid of the dark they come to me and want to be held. I will hold them for a time and then together we face the darkness and they find strength and trust me when I say, "there is nothing in this room that will hurt you".

Thank God we don't have to face our fears alone, He is with us and wants to help us if we will only seek Him. I found these words of wisdom to help me face my fear :

Dr. Martin Lloyd-Jones once said, "The result of worrying about the future is that you are crippling yourself in the present." And Corrie ten Boom added, "Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of its strength."

Philippians 4:6-7
"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made know to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."


Isaiah 43:1-3
"Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine! When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they will not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, Nor will the flame burn you. For I am the Lord your God, The Holy One of Israel, your Savior."


Now all we have to do is trust the word of God. 
Lord I pray that you will help me over come my fears of the unknown and that I would be able to trust you. God please give me the courage to deal with my fear and not to pretend it's not there. God with you all things are possible and I believe you will carry me through whatever my future holds. Please continue to keep Kenny healthy and strong and thank you for all you have done for us. You are mighty Lord and your word says that You are love and perfect love cast out all fear. God cast out my fear and show me your perfect love. With God on my side what shall I fear? In Jesus name Amen!

To all the women at Coffee Talk and Pastor Ron, the Spirit of fear has left the building, thanks be to God.


2 comments:

  1. Praise the Lord, Alycia!! I loved this post...
    It really hit home for me as I'm dealing with some "unknowns" in my life right now. I'm not really fearful, just asking the Lord to keep be from going "there". I have to remember, at all times, to: "Trust in the Lord with all my heart and lean not on my own understanding." (Proverbs 3:5 in the Patti-paraphrase).
    Blessings to you, dear Sister!
    Love in Jesus,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Alyscia! How exciting it is to watch the Lord work in your life. It is amazing how real He becomes when we are going through trials. Keep on writing! In Jesus, Pastor Ron

    ReplyDelete