Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Valley of the Shadow of Death

That title sounds horrible hu? Well right at this very moment two of the men I love most in this world are smack dab in the middle of the valley of the shadow of death. Kenny, my husband of 9 and a half years and my father William are each battling for their lives, Kenny with his advanced stage of brain cancer and my dad with the plethora of his medical issues; heart disease, type 1 diabetes, renal failure, and now pneumonia.

I could get really angry and bitter at the thought that God is allowing this incredible hardship into our lives. I could add up all the bad things that have happened to our family throughout the course of our lives (which is usually my custom) but why would I add all that onto my shoulders?

Why is it easier for us to remember the bad times over the good? Why do we insist on dwelling on the problems in our lives instead of the blessings? Well human nature I suppose, sin nature. Our frame is weak at best and we crumble at the slightest sight of trouble. As we are walking along with God through this life lets not forget that everything belongs to him.

So in light of this God given wisdom I want to remember my blessings, will you join me?

11 years of missing my dad and wishing I could see him and know him, God brought him back into my life. God brought my dad here so he could walk me down the aisle on my wedding day. My dad got to give me away to my Kenny. My dad was able to come out again for the birth of my first born son Keegan. We got to take trips to visit him in Pennsylvania and go down the Jersey Shore.

I have been the luckiest girl alive to be married to Kenny Johnson and have three beautiful children with him. We were astonished after being told by the doctors that my third pregnancy had ended in miscarriage, then just two days later after praying for a miracle we received the news that I was indeed still pregnant. We welcomed our little miracle Josiah on Christmas Eve 2007.

We were amazed when all hope seemed lost for our marriage that God took us under His mighty wings and taught us how to truly live out our wedding vows.

We even got the privilege of having Kenny's baby brother Morgan live with us for the first 7 months of his life.

We went on camping trips and drove over the mountains to visit our family for the 4th of July.

We were there when my sister Shannon gave birth to twins after being told by doctors she wouldn't have children. We watched as God took care of those precious babies in the hospital for the first 3 month of their lives. Born at 29 weeks Ezra and Olivia are healthy and active walkers with no major medical issues due to their early arrival.

We look back in astonishment as we realize how God has provided financially and miraculously these last 3 years since my husband has been out of work due to his illness. We have been blessed with wonderful friends and family and a church body who all love us and offer prayer and support.

We were given a trip to Disneyland and got to spend some much needed family time together with each other.

We got to witness my dad's and Kenny's dad's new birth into the family of Christ. Who else but God could do all that?

I know there is more that I am forgetting but if I really took the time to focus on my blessings, on these blessings, how wonderful would my heart feel! Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for You are with me. Your rod and Your staff comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies, You anoint my head with oil my cup runs over. Surely Goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. (Psalm 23:4-6)

Going to Disneyland!

Johnson Family

Family Football

Johnson/Martin Family 4th of July

Ezra & Olivia's Story

Bostwick Family Camping Trip

Kenny & Alyscia Nine Years!

Summer Fun

Now tell me God isn't good. That is a whole lot of good!!!!

Thank You God for the gift of life. Thank You for showing me how to love. You so loved the world that You gave Your One and Only Son that whoever believes in You will have everlasting life. Loving people is giving a piece of our hearts that we will never get back unscathed. Love is long suffering and kind! I am grateful for my life and the people who You brought into it. Everything is Yours and I trust You to care for my husband and my dad. I know I could lose them both but I will still praise You. You can heal, You can redeem and You can take away. You are God. You are good and there has never been a greater love



2 comments:

  1. Wow...Thanks for sharing.... T. Moore

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so awesome to see how God has blessed you and your family. Sometimes it is hard to look past the pain and sorrow to see what God has done for us. Remember what we learned in the HH study. Jesus has been there and He understands everything we are going through and He goes through it right along with us. I know you are clinging to Him right now and He will get you through this. You are always in my thoughts and prayers and if you need anything just call.
    Love,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete