Thursday, February 11, 2010

Finally Set Free!

I am a sinner, big shock right, we all are. I came from a very traumatic childhood and because of my experiences I learned to cope with my life rather than enjoy it. I put up walls around my heart to keep it safe instead of relying on the Lord to be my fortress of defense. God wants to be our shield and our strength but often times we take matters into our own hands. In my case I became very depressed and dark negative thoughts would cloud my mind every second of the day. I was not a helpless bystander by any means, I invited these thoughts in. I remember how I would be sitting in the back seat of the car looking out the window at a beautiful summer day and all I could think about was, "What if we crashed and I was paralyzed and had to live in a wheelchair the rest of my life?" Crazy thoughts that were scary at times and I kept allowing them to fill me with fears and torment my life. I was addicted to my thoughts, they were a drug I didn't want to quit. After years of torment I started to think I was going crazy, this cant be what life is all about. I knew I was a slave to this way of living but as hard as I tried I couldn't get free. I lost control and I was sure I would end up in an insane asylum. Just as all hope seemed lost, I cried out to God. After years of torment and failed attempts to change my self, I asked God to fix me and help me to change and He answered my prayers. I started to seek Him diligently and I was finally set free! It wasn't a quick fix by any means because I had to learn to live differently. God has shown me a love I never thought I could have and I certainly don't deserve. I can't say I never have a negative thought but when I do I know where to go for help.
Philippians 4:6-7
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, WITH THANKSGIVING, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
It was the "with thanksgiving" part I struggled with but I found there are many reasons to be thankful if we take the time to think about it.

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy-MEDITATE on these things.

I had to really work on the meditating on GOOD things, because I was so use to dwelling on the negative things, but with God all things are possible.

1 John: 18-19
There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love. We love Him because He first loved us.

Ask the Lord to show you His amazing love and just wait on Him because He is faithful.

Isaiah 43:18
Do not remember the former things, Nor consider the things of old. Behold, I will do a new thing, now it shall spring forth; Shall you not know it? I will even make a road in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.

God knows what this world can do to His children and His word says if we believe that He sent His only Son to die on the cross for our sins than we shall be forgiven. He promises to do a work in our lives that will be for our benefit if we seek Him. Shall we not know it? Don't miss out on the adventure of your life by sitting back and feeling sorry for your self.

1 John 5:4-5
For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world--our Faith! Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.

Seek God and you will find you have been set free. Don't stop at the set free part keep walking with Him because I know this life would ruin me if I lived it apart from the One who created it.
There are so many wonderful verses but I'll let you look up the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment